Friday, October 18, 2013

Fun Food Friday: McDonald's

I have been a bit MIA for the past week or so. It’s because of computers – totally not my fault. We brought two laptops with us to China, one of which was broken – well, until we called Tim’s brother for help. Since the whole reason we made such a drastic move was for Tim’s education, he got the computer – which makes perfect sense. 

Anyway, onto Fun Food Friday: McDonald’s.


Now, I know what you are thinking: Horrible wife for feeding her husband sodium and preservative laden food. Well, in my defense, we ate at McDonald’s on day three in China, when jet-lag had peaked, dinner time had arrived and the choices presented were the Golden Arches or fried noodles. Because I knew we would be hungry within the hour if we chose noodles, fast-food it was. 

The menu had the normal burgers, chicken sandwiches, chicken nuggets, French fries and ice cream treats…


Along with some new-to-us items including egg and mushroom soup, chicken McMuffins


and beef and rice dishes.



Tim ordered chicken nuggets.


He said they tasted normal, but he was a bit disappointed BBQ sauce and honey mustard were not available. Instead his options were sweet and sour sauce or garlic chili sauce. The garlic chili sauce was thrown away as soon as he tried it, but he loved the sweet and sour sauce – well, not as much as honey mustard.


I don’t eat beef so my options were cut in half. I ordered a wrap. It looked like there were chicken strips and veggies in it so I thought, given the circumstance, it was a pretty good choice. Inside the wrap were about two ounces of chicken, a rice cake, lettuce, tomato and some kind of sauce. To my surprise it was pretty tasty – even though I know it doesn't look too appetizing!


To the right of the main ordering counter was a McCafé  Here, you could order coffee, teas and other hot beverages. I had never seen one of these before, so I had to take some pictures. 


There was also a counter where you could order desserts. From cheesecakes to muffins, the dessert case looked YUMMY but we didn’t get anything.


Honestly, the food tasted better than expected, although I know we won’t be visiting again anytime soon. 

One of the more interesting points about eating at McDonald’s is that it doesn't carry the same cheap meal reputation as it does in the States. As I mentioned before, Tim and I can go out to eat for less than $5 USD and have more than enough. For our two meals at McDonald’s, the cost was about $10 USD – quite pricey in comparison!  

No comments:

Post a Comment