Friday, October 4, 2013

Fun Food Friday: Youzi

Tim and I aren’t big dessert people. We are HUGE dessert people, but being the responsible adults that we are, we don’t indulge often. I would like to say it’s because I am super concerned with my health, but honestly, it is because I don’t want to buy bigger pants. Thankfully there are no chocolate cake temptations here. China’s desserts leave much to be desired. Avoiding the sweet stuff has never been easier! Except Oreos…but not often- PROMISE!

We tried to cultivate the habit of eating fruit as dessert in the States which worked out pretty well. I know sugar before bed time isn’t the best thing in the world, but being moody isn’t a good thing either! We brought this habit to China with us which has led us to discovering some new fruit to tackle nighttime sugar carvings.

Today I want to introduce pomelo or 柚子(youzi). It is the largest of the citrus family and, according to my taste buds, is a cross between an orange and a grapefruit.


These things appear massive. Below is a medium sized apple compared to a youzi. 


However, looks can be deceiving. The peel is super thick and contains white pith that tastes super bitter. Once you get to the meat of the youzi, it is the size of a large grapefruit.


The fruit itself is mildly sweet and isn’t super juicy. I think one of the best things about this fruit is peeling it. It’s a lot of fun – trust me! 


Also, it is high in vitamin C and Tim has been battling a cold. I think this is a pretty good replacement for the vitamins I forgot to pack! 

1 comment:

  1. Okay...you had me at the first sentence! Jajajaja! But really...it doesn't look too appetizing! Fall is here...temps are getting cooler...apple crisp is in the air! Wish you were here!

    ReplyDelete