Saturday, April 12, 2014

Life as a Pedestrian

We walk a lot here. For instance, every morning, in order to get to work, I walk about eight minutes to the metro, five minutes to change lines and then 20 minutes from the metro to school. Now, to you, that might not seem like a lot, but compared to life in Greenville, SC, that’s about 60 minutes more than I used to walk. I mean, 30 seconds to my car, another 30 seconds to walk into work – you get the point. All this walking sounds like it would be super good for one’s health, and although I am sure it is, I always feel like I am putting my life at risk – pretty much on a daily basis! 


I have seen everything from pedestrians who were hit by scooters to, unfortunately, an accident that took a man’s life. We joke around about the craziness of Shanghai's traffic but, in reality, paying attention to the buses, cars, scooters and bicycles around you is so important!

We have a couple of visitors coming next month so this started me thinking about the serious consequences of ignorance to traffic procedures here in China. So, to the Shanghai newbie, here are three tips for life as a pedestrian that could possibly save your life – or at least keep your heart beating at a responsible rate. 

1. Pedestrians do not have right of way. The university I attended held the same policy – cars had the right of way. For the most part this worked fabulously! Since there were so many pedestrians, this policy allowed cars to easily make it around campus. Of course, the students and staff knew this, but visitors – well, if you were a car, every student thought you were super nice for waiting while we crossed the street; however, if you were the visiting pedestrian, I am sure you had some student speed up to ‘put you in your pedestrian place’ – clueless as to why the students there were so rude! Well, Shanghai is the exact same way. I have been crossing a street, when it was my turn, and have had cars literally screech their breaks because I was in the way. Thankfully I don’t know much Chinese profanity, but I can only imagine the times I have been yelled at! 


2. Red lights are really only suggestions. For cars going straight, most of the time, red lights hold some importance, but the whole full and complete stop at a red light before turning right – nonsense, I tell you! Near our hotel, there is a traffic light where this can be seen in all its glory. When returning home from the metro, we have to cross a reasonably busy four lane road. Although we have a green light to start crossing, occasionally we are left with just enough time to sprint across the road because so many cars turn right. And don’t even think about trying to cross – the cars won’t stop. Instead of breaking, you will hear horns – constantly – until you get out of the way. 

3. Sidewalks are simply extensions of the road. For cars, occasionally, but for scooters – the sidewalks are a convenient way to get around traffic. I mean, what sane person wouldn’t get out of the way of a scooter coming at you at speeds reaching 40 mph? And don’t even get me started on bicycles. If you are in the way, you will hear constant bells behind you, kind of like you are a dog. Nothing will be said – just bells. 



I will be honest, I miss my car, but there is no way I would ever drive here – these people are crazy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment