Friday, September 27, 2013

Fun Food Friday: Chinese Takeout

Is it Friday already? YES!!!!! Are you doing a happy dance? I am for sure, especially because next week is a holiday here in China so there is no work, no school – just Moose and Goose on the loose in Shanghai for an entire WEEK. I am so ready to explore this city!  I mean, yes, we have explored, but not a whole day at a time. I can’t wait.

Anyway, onto to Fun Food Friday – Chinese takeout. Wednesday night, Tim worked on a group project and didn’t get back to the room until after 11:30 p.m. Of course I had to hear all about his day, so we were up till about 1:00 a.m. talking – oh the woes of living with your best friend. Thursday morning we were exhausted, but I had an interview and Tim had class so we were up at 5:00 a.m. I had a super busy day starting with the interview (which was so weird) and looking for Chinese clothes (that will be another blog post this weekend). Tim had classes all day – from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. We planned on going out to dinner, but then Tim got lost on his way home from school (took the bus instead of the metro). What was supposed to be an 8:30 p.m. dinner date turned into him walking in the door at 10:00 p.m. Because I knew he was beyond tired, I picked up takeout.


I have no clue where the take out boxes in the States came from, but what we get are throw-away containers in a plastic bag. Some restaurants put the food in plastic bags instead of plastic containers which makes it a bit harder to eat.

You won’t find duck sauce as the condiment of choice in real Chinese restaurants. Instead we get adorable little bags of vinegar.


You thought it was soy sauce, right? Don’t feel bad – I did too!

Thursday night I got Tim chicken and rice and got myself some super spicy eggplant.


The reason we didn’t go out to eat more in the States was because of the price. Paying $30 for dinner when I can get a basket full of food for the same price seems ridiculous to me – well on occasion, no problem, but every night? That seems like throwing money in the trash can. Well here in Shanghai, Tim and I can eat a full meal - meat, veggies and a starch – for less than $3.50 which makes eating out a lot more affordable! 

1 comment:

  1. YUM! Send some here? I could use some Chinese takeout =.) Miss you so much!

    ReplyDelete